Teletriage Case Study: Pirate (Rat Bait Poisoning)

Dogs, Pets, Triage Talk

Pirate’s Terrible Tale

Cheeky 9 year old Jack Russel, Pirate, was caught in the act late one evening chewing on a block of rat bait. Pirate’s owner quickly called their local Fur Life Vet and spoke to one of our Teletriage Vet Nurses to arrange an emergency vet visit.

The Problem

While Pirate’s owner caught him chewing on the rat bait, they were unsure whether or not any rat bait had been digested. They also didn’t have the rat bait packaging on hand to identify ingredients. 

The Process

Teletriage nurse, Erin, answered the call and suggested an emergency vet visit as soon as possible. Erin contacted the local on-call vet, Emma, who responded in minutes and went straight in to the clinic.  

The Outcome

Pirate was administered medication to make him vomit, which cleared the toxic rat bait from his system. Thanks to the quick thinking of his owner, he was able to be treated promptly with minimal negative side effects from the toxin. 

Our skilled and friendly team of triage professionals are available 24/7 if your pet ever requires emergency care.

Calling your local Fur Life Vet out of hours will get you put straight through to our triage team so if you haven’t already, make sure to save your preferred clinic’s number to your contacts for easy access.

You may also like …

Mushroom Dangers

Mushroom Dangers

What is mushroom poisoning?Although most common backyard mushrooms are safe, some can be fatal to...

Best Mates

Did you know that a Best Mates Membership includes:

  • Unlimited FREE consults
  • FREE Desexing or Dental
  • FREE Vaccinations
  • DISCOUNTED professional services, nutrition and merchandise!

Plus more ...

Share This