fbpx

Mushroom Dangers

Dogs, Pets

What is mushroom poisoning?

Although most common backyard mushrooms are safe, some can be fatal to our four-legged friends. 

Here are a few tips if mushrooms pop up in your area:

  • Avoid mushrooms with white gills (underside), a skirt or ring on the stem and a bulbous.
  • Avoid mushrooms with red on the cap or stem.
  • If you aren’t sure, remove it immediately from your pets reach or yard!

Symptoms of mushroom poisioning

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning can greatly vary depending on the type eaten.

In the worst case, mushroom poisoning can be fatal causing acute liver and kidney destruction or effect the nervous or gastrointestinal system.

Common symptoms include:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Weakness
  • Lethargy
  • Yellowing of skin (jaundice)
  • Salivation
  • Seizures

Treatment of mushroom poisoning

Do not wait for symptoms to appear if you suspect your pet has injested wild mushrooms. Take your pet to your local Fur Life Vet immediately in order to identify the type of mushroom eaten. If the mushroom has been identified as toxic, immediate emergency measures to reduce the toxicity levels in your dog’s system are to be taken. Treatment will often involve inducing vomiting in your pet to remove toxins from your pet’s stomach as quickly as possible.

Suspect your pet has eaten a mushroom? Get Vet Checked!

You may also like …

Best Mates

Did you know that a Best Mates Membership includes:

  • Unlimited FREE consults
  • FREE Desexing or Dental
  • FREE Vaccinations
  • DISCOUNTED professional services, nutrition and merchandise!

Plus more ...

Share This