Christmas Dangers for Inquisitive Pets!

Family, Pets

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas … 

Download our Christmas Dangers Infograhic .

So if you have an inqusitive pooch or feline it’s time to take a look at the little dangers hidden behind all the fun of the season that can get in the way of everyone having a happy holiday!

In this post we will take a look at a few of the dangers that Christmas can present to our 4-legged family members.

Christmas Trees

 

Live trees, if the pine needles are digested, may cause vomiting and or diarrhoea as well as potential irritation or perforation of the intestines!

And don’t forget cats love to climb! Make sure your tree is topple free!

Tinsel on Christmas trees can also be dangerous and cause blockages if ingested.

Festive Food

Chocolate, onions, nuts, blue cheese, fruit cakes, puddings and mince pies can all be toxic to dogs. Turkey and Ham bones can cause choking, constipation or damage your pets’s intestines. Avoid the temptation to give your pet Christmas leftovers for dinner. That might result in very unpleasant stomach upsets.

Decorations

Those happy, bright colourful Christmas ornaments are also very enticing for pets! If ingested they can cause significant problems including chocking, blockages and damage to internal organs. Some decorations can shatter or splinter making them very dangerous to pets. And don’t forget the electrical cords for those dazzling Christmas lights … your pet might get quite a shock if they decode to take a bite!

Holly, Mistletoe and Poinsettias

Pretty Christmas foliage can cause vomiting, drooling, diarrhoea and worse. And don’t forget Christmas Lillies are highly toxic to cats! If you really must have your home decorated with these plants make sure your pets cannot get near!

Presents & Wrapping paper

We might not be able to see inside the wrapping paper but our dogs sure can if the present happens to be a tasty treat! All that wrapping paper and ribbon is also very tempting to play with but again if ingested can make our pets sick or worse cause blockages.

Batteries

Batteries are dangerous. If chewed they can cause chemical burns and heavy metal poisoning. If swallowed they can also cause obstructions.
Make sure batteries are not left lying around amongst the Christmas wrapping.

Keep your pets safe this Christmas and have a wonderful time!

You may also like …

Did you know that a Best Mates Membership includes:

  • Unlimited FREE consults
  • FREE Desexing or Dental
  • FREE Vaccinations
  • DISCOUNTED professional services, nutrition and merchandise!

Plus more ...